Sunday, September 23, 2018

20180923-Fishing the Home Lake during repair draw down and new fly tie.


The dam is under repair on the home-base lake so I took the trip to see the effect of the fishing on 2-3 ft lowered levels on my favorite waypoints located on the 9’ flats… the trip was interesting and productive.


The current weather pattern was like summer with temps reaching the upper 70’s, hot sun and calm winds.


I loaded up the van with my favorite rod bundle including three micro jig setups as well as 2 slip float set-ups.


I had difficulty launching the boat with reduced water levels.


Once out on the flats, I notice the weeds forming an umbrella on the surface.  Long casting the micro jigs proved difficult even along the edges.


Hitting the major period I noticed very productive fish activity levels.  Once located the bluegills responded to the slip float presentation readily as well as the Micro-Jig Method.


I was elated to find the bluegills responded well to my new fly tie.  The first bluegill caught on the fly was a beautiful 9-inch class bull bluegill.  I only tied two flies for the trip on two different size hooks.  The bluegills responded better with the smaller fly tied on a small hook #12 in size.



The best fishes of the day were tagged on the new fly under the float at 9-inch class in size as well as a 10” class beast just missing the mark on the Micro-Jig/Waxie method.
...





No comments:

Post a Comment