Tuesday, September 18, 2018

20180918~ what a fantastic day on the water!!!


The weather has been stable with above normal temps and calm or light winds throughout most of late august and mid September. Fish love the consistency in a weather pattern as well as the above normal temps. Nothing wrong with extending the growing season of the fishes.


I loaded up my common rod bundle comprised of two slip float rods as well as three micro jig setups into the van and headed for my home lake.


I love this time a year the boat launch was empty the weather was a a bit warm with abundant sunshine and calm winds…  The forecast was calling for a bank the clouds coming in and showers later in the night.  Just enough time to fish the major intraday before sunset.


In the 20 minute ride to my first waypoint I just noticed a couple pontoon boats and Bass boats through the stretch. Very little traffic or fishing presure.


Studying my sonar on my way to the waypoint i noticed very few fish at the deep breaks.  I always take this as a signal that the fish are shallow in the flats.  I’m usually right.


I was still excited about the catches from the recent trips … a 10” B.Gill master Angler and two Lunker 10” class B.Gills caught back to back just missing the mark


As I approached the first waypoint on the 9 foot flat I noticed schools of fish along the weed edges. They were identified as B.Crappie after tagging a few from the 10 to 12” mark on the Least Common Denominator Jig (1/64 oz jig tipped with a Gulp Waxie in Chartreuse or Pink)and a 2” swim jig 1/32 oz in size.


 The bluegills were close to the surface picking flies from a hatch. I also tagged quite a few at the surface near floating weed mats. The floating weed debris was everywhere on the surface causing havoc with my long casts. Fouled baits were the norm on nearly every cast.


I set the hook hard with a quick snap into a very good fish… this fish was easily identified right away with its unique fighting style as a large Channel Cat. I pressured the fish into submission with the lightest rod in my arsenal. The fish measured just under 28” with a 92% Master Angler Rating. What a beast!


Darkness was quickly approaching with the grey bank of clouds coming in. I don’t know about anyone else … it is hard for me to leave a hot bite. The phone alarm went off signaling for me to start heading back to the launch. I told myself “just one more cast” a few times before the trophy gill took the bite. After a nice battle I quickly netted the fish noticing it was 10” class. Putting the fish to the board identified the fish as a certificate… a few quick snaps she was quickly released back to the gene pool… wow!


Two trophy B.Gills in just over a weeks time including a nice bonus Cat… What a trip!



Last year at this time I tagged two certificate B.Gills with the same presentation and similar structure on the same lake.

...







No comments:

Post a Comment