Monday, September 17, 2018

20180917- at a low 16% fish activity level FAL I decided to fish anyway


At 16% FAL, I don't really get excited to go fishing but the weather was nice the wind was calm and the sun was out. I headed out to the closest launch at one of my favorite Lakes so if the fishing was really bad it would be easy access out of the lake and home quickly.

I love Mondays at the local boat launch... Nobody was there! Basically, I will have the lake to myself except for the local old timers. Just being out on the lake and great weather in the Little Jon Boat was enough for me.

A short ride to one of my favorite waypoints for bluegill and crappie situated on a 2ft depression on a major 9 foot flat. This spot hardly ever fails me. On the way to the Waypoint, I saw very little fish activity on the sonar. The fish was obviously tight to cover.

To throw salt on the wound I started fishing on a 16% FAL in the middle of a Lull.Period. very little fish activity. First fish of the day was a junior Bass just under the legal limit. Then the bluegills started hitting the LCD jig. The dozen-or-so bluegills throughout the afternoon we're small in number and small in size but just one hitting the 8" mark.

I decided to stay out and do some side scan imaging for potential new spots. Some of the key structural features I look for are large laydowns, desirable weed beds, and stump fields… stump fields are potential gold mines.


I even did a thorough perimeter check in the shallows. The ideal weather conditions were optimal for viewing especially with the polarized lenses. I found some nests in large areas of great looking sandy substrate. A good target for next season maybe?.


Today I added to my tan, added a few waypoints and reinforced the validity of the Solunar Tables. Today was a bad FAL day on the charts and on the water proved it.

...





No comments:

Post a Comment