Saturday, March 2, 2019

Hybridized/Spinning/Casting/Slip-Float Method

Hybridized/Spinning/Casting/Slip-Float Method

So Hey…

As a general rule when using my spinning/slip-float set-ups I do not wind the stopper knot onto the spool because it leaves a definite speed bump on the spool for the following cast. Messes with the accuracy, casting distance, could cause loss of tackle and may cause personal injury. the reason is when line flying off the spinning spool gets caught up underneath the stop knot and brings everything to a screeching halt… been there done that… I think I've cursed a few times when I watched my bobber bait and split shot break loose and sail onto someone’s lawn.

I love slip floating and have really concentrated on the shallower portion of the water column lately. Most of my fishing activities are done in the 1-0 to 10-0 levels where a simple 5-6’ UL action slip float set-up covers the water column without spooling the stop knot. That shallow 1-0 to 10-0’ range to me is the fish activity zone where fish are there to feed. So very rarely do I fish deeper than the shallow spectrum just described for panfish… especially with the slip/float method

However, a couple deep water patterns very early and late in the fall exist for me year after year, I go down to the 15-0 to 20-0’ column for B.Crappie I heavily target with the slip float… it is a stand of trees in 35-0 FOW, 15-0 to 20-0 high that I drop a bait over suspended by a Slip/Float set-up. there are also some deep holes that were dug for bridge construction adjacent to the bridge and its structures that hit the 20-0’ mark in depth… two patterns where I go deep with the slip float advertently spooling up the knot on the reel.

A few years ago while watching an Ice fishing YouTube video of a fisherman deep jigging with a short ice casting set-up... he was using a stop knot for depth control... the line on the reel effortlessly went by the knot on the drop thru the hole... it then hit me!... why wouldn't that set-up work on deepwater slip floating! Immediately I put a stop knot on one of my bait casters and test cast the setup on the lawn proving smooth as silk on the cast.

I quickly put together or hybridized the spinning/slip-float system to accomplish successful smooth casting. I replaced the spinning reel with a casting reel. The reel is an Abu-Garcia Silver Max loaded with 6 to 8# braid, I usually go leader-less… 8# braid is about the same thickness as 2# monofilament or fluorocarbon so the same visibility to fish underwater.

My typical casting rods proved too stiff for the panfish bite… so replacing the casting rod with one of my many spinning rods proved no problem and felt comfortable in the hand… even without the casting rod trigger absent on spinning rods. I have used this setup on 5-6' to 8-0 UL to Lite spinning rods.

Casts are smooth and effortless without hanging up on the knot.

I've had success with rocket bobbers and really like the 1/16 wobble bobber on this set-up.

I have successfully fished in depths from 2-0 to 20-0’ with this setup...

Only negative is thumbing the spool with a knot embedded does require getting used to... so I rely more on the magnetic cast control.

The system does work and tags the fish when used... I have recently more or less replaced this method with vertical jigging and long casting the jigs for a bit better productivity under the same fish patterns.

I love when a good setup comes together!

Tighten Those Lines,


Slip

No comments:

Post a Comment