Wednesday, October 10, 2018

20181010-Successful day fishing... repeat the next day with the same pattern


Planning and checking the Solunar tables and Accucast forecast for today's trip I noticed weather coming in from the West with showers lasting 2 hours in a 4 Hour time frame. The showers would be light and at times drizzle. This rain shower time frame would take up some of the intra-day major. I was willing to take the chance and fish it out using my rain gear. No big deal.


I quickly launched and made it to my successful Waypoint in 20 minutes and I was making my first cast into a nice fish. ... mid 8 bluegills make me smile every time. The bite started off slow just like yesterday and was hoping for it to pick up during the remainder of the trip.


I proceeded to tag some nine-inch class bluegills long casting the LCD jig fan casting large areas on the 6-foot Flats. Scanning the edge of the deep break found no fish on the sonar. I was presuming the fish were holding tight to the weed clump edges scattered along the flat. I continued picking them off.


While concentrating on controlled drifts through productive areas I noticed weather coming in from the West. The drizzle started settling in as predicted and I continued fishing. As the rain intensified so did the wind and the bite was lost. I aimed my back towards the weather and continued fishing... Minute by minute the rain intensified along with the Wind. The rain was leaking in under the hood of my rain gear due to the wind and I was getting soaked.


I started the outboard and headed towards the bridge. Under the shelter of the bridge, I was able to use my cell phone and access AccuWeather and noticed that the duration and intensity of the rain showers changed for the worse. The showers were to continue until the following morning I picked up anchor and headed towards the launch!


Looking back at the data for the trip I needed to be on the lake on this major during the warm weather. 82% FAL day is definitely worth fishing especially with an extended cold front possibly pushing us into a cold water period coming in for the next couple weeks. Spent some time and got some quality tags in... Love the tug of a 9 inch plus B. Gill with the possibility of a trophy in the mix ... Will very rarely turn that opportunity down!



Researching the weather later I discovered Hurricane Michael traveled north on a path so quickly it drew heavy moisture from the gulf affecting our weather here to the north on the tundra. Overall I was elated to get some time in on the water during the New Moon Period.







No comments:

Post a Comment