Thursday, April 19, 2018


20180419-Tweaking the slip/float setup and methods…

I spent quite a few hours tweaking spinning rod setups for slip/floating and long-casting over some idle time this past winter. Back and spine issues kept me on the sidelines thru the hard water ice fishing season. Some of the changes I made were very minor in nature with no extra purchase in rods, reels and lines.

Since May and early June are just around the corner I concentrated most efforts on the slip/float set-ups realizing they are under the most use during those weeks with long-casters a close second.

The lines were all braid in the 6-8# test range with less than 2# mono diameter. For maintenance I simply swapped the line end for end which I normally do every one or two years to compensate for wear.

I noted one set-up is going on its fifth season with the red power pro line of 6# test. That is an incredible statement alone in itself. Significant durability and economy is well noted each and every time I use these rigs out on the water.

The line of choice is braid for the slip/floats systems. The main reason is its insane ability to cut thru weeds and stalks better than any other line type. On two separate occasions I landed 2 30” class fish in the same shallow lily pad field. I was simply amazed after landing the fish and noting the floating stems and pads in the battle zone. The braided line literally weed whacked thru the field… cannot do that with mono. Slip/floating and braid combinations has certainly earned my confidence. Then consecutively… it is thin and durable and casts like a dream.

The rods used varied from 4-0’ thru 5-6’ all UL action. The set-ups have the capacity to launch a slip/float in excess of 75-0’ fully loaded… not bad for short rods. I very rarely make casts over the 40-0’ mark … the floats are small and casts further than that are tough to see and detect the light bite.

Of course slip/floating set-ups are always changing preferences with me… but at a slower pace… I feell im actually getting close to the perfect set-ups matching my methods

Will always keep ya posted on any changes… good fishin

Keep those Lines Tight!

ken

No comments:

Post a Comment